Saturday 5 January 2013

West Ham United: Our Defence.


Basically, I'm about to moan about our defence. I don't moan all the way through. Excuse me if it isn't structured very well, I just wanted to let all my feelings out.

First of all I would like to know why Sam Allardyce starts James Collins instead of James Tomkins. I have a number of reason's why Tomkins should start instead of Collins:
1- James Tomkins is reliable. I don't think Collins is.
2- James Collins has cost us at least 9 points already this season. If Tomkins had played the same amount of games as Collins that figure would be lower and that's a fact.
3- When Tomkins plays, he passes it around the defence and into the midfield. Collins hoofs it up field which leads to us losing possession  By the time we get it back, we'll be getting the game back underway after conceding a goal.
4- Tomkins gets forward and scores. Collins doesn't.
5- The only decent thing about Collins is that he's good at blocking shots. Tomkins can do more things and can do them things better than Collins.

Possible new defensive arrivals:
Danny Simpson (Right back)
Stephen Warnock (Left back)
Martin Olsson (Left back)
Douglas (Centre back)

The full backs are not a problem but Douglas is. If he came in, we would have four centre backs. Four centre backs capable of being in the Starting XI. Having four centre backs would mean that one of them would have to go out on loan or even on a permanent so they can play football. I fear that out of Collins, Tomkins and Reid; Tomkins will be the one sold. Reid obviously won't be sold as he's our best defender but Tomkins might as Allardyce prefers Collins. Very few people, if any, would agree with the decision to sell/loan Tomkins. Hopefully fan power would stop that happening if the situation come around. 

Im going to stop moaning for a minute and give credit to Winston Reid. The New Zealander was amazing last season and has taken the step up to the Premier League in his stride. He is so underrated its unreal and I feel that he deserves more credit from the football world. He's currently 24. I hope that in 15 years he is still doing his amazing work in our defence. With James Tomkins of course ;)

Moving on...
This is what I would like to see happen this month. This only concerns our defence and the defensive players that we have been linked with so far. 

IN: Stephen Warnock, Martin Olsson & Danny Simpson. 
Why?- This would give Big Sam a bit more choice at the back. We will have O'Brien, McCartney, Demel, Warnock, Olsson & Simpson as full back options. This means that we would have plenty of competition for the two full back positions. Therefore 6 of them perform better as they know if they under perform in a match they will be warming the bench. I wouldn't mind seeing Demel and McCartney leave if I was honest. The only good thing I see in Demel is his strength and McCartney would be outshone by the new arrivals. 

OUT: James Collins.
If we signed Douglas I would like to see James Collins leave. I do not rate Collins at all as you've probably realised by now. We would be getting rid of a defender that is prone to making mistakes. Four centre backs would also be too many unless one got injured. Id like to see Collins leave on a loan so if one of our centre backs got injured we could recall him. I've already mentioned half of this, I just felt the need to repeat it.  

IN: Douglas.
Douglas sounds like a fantastic defender. He's tall and looks very strong. He's also 24, 5 years younger than Collins. I haven't got much more to say about him as I've never seen him play. I hadn't even heard of him before rumours of him joining us surfaced.

This is how I would like to see our defence look after the January Transfer Window.

Left Back- Olsson.
Centre Back- Tomkins
Centre Back- Reid
Right Back- Simpson/O'Brien (The competition between them two for that place would be interesting!)

Rant over.

Sorry if this piece of work was a complete mess. I was just expressing my opinion. I understand that many of you will disagree with what I've said but I'm not bothered about gaining friends by going along with what everyone else says; id rather express my opinions, not bothering about gaining any friends from it. 

Thanks for reading. I want to know YOUR thoughts on this matter so please get in contact with me. Twitter: @samwhufcfrancis - Email: sam11sf@live.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment